Have you noticed tiny flecks of dust blowing out of an air duct each time you switch on your home’s heating, ventilation and cooling (HVAC) unit? Have you observed pet hair or dust trapped in an air vent? Are there particles of dust on the grills on returns air registers? These could indicate that your home’s ducts may be in need of an extensive cleaning.
Within your HVAC system dust particles accumulate on the air duct’s surfaces vents, motors and coils. The dead hair, skin and pet dander get on the dust and in the course of time, this process results in an incredibly dense, mat-like atmosphere in which mold, bacteria dust mites and allergens can thrive. Air filters can remove a lot of these contaminants from the air stream, however not all of your HVAC system. It is important to regularly check the condition the air ducts and determine if they are in need of air duct cleaning services.
Top 5 indicators that your air ducts are dirty
1. Take off one of the vent covers and inspect the inside. Examine the vent to determine if it is contaminated with dirt debris, matted and matted dust.
2. Check the registers for return air for dust buildup, specifically in the case of large, fuzzy coats of dust.
3. Take the air filter out. In the event that the air filter has become clogged by dust, then the air flow is blocked off. This causes more dust to collect and accumulate within the return pipework.
4. Unlock the furnace compartment. Look at the blower’s motor and the fan for signs of dust. Also, check the furnace’s controls. More dust that you notice the greater the issue you’re dealing with.
5. Examine the coil of air conditioning. (You might need to take off the panel.) If your coil seems dirty or is clinging to the walls of the housing it is likely that the air filter isn’t working correctly.
All of these signs indicate you that the HVAC equipment and the ductwork are negatively impacted by the accumulation of dirt and dust. We recommend contacting a professional air duct cleaning contractor to help with the cleaning.